5.06.2008

La Mariposa






Today we made felted butterfly wings from Living Crafts magazine. I managed to bend and snap several of my felting needles on the first try. Um...oh, yeah, I was supposed to put the foam under the wings, not felt with the towel underneath.

In the end this limited the exactitude of my felting, producing crude shapes rather than the fine detail my (almost) 6 year old was seeking. My 4 year old was pleased with the heavy and uneven coverage method of decorating. I only lost my patience twice, mostly because I stabbed myself and was pretty freaked out by the felting needle with kids in the room. The kids loved squishing around soapy wool with bubble wrap.

I finished off the felting in the washing machine, which dislodged a few decorations. A little drying and some ribbon ties and I'll call it complete. Somewhat successful, though if I attempted it again I would do more of the needle felting alone and then just invite the kids to do the decorating.

3 comments:

Ms. Brazil said...

yay! felting is fun! I've made puppets felting.

meemah said...

Hmmmm...if only there was a preschool that could use lots of felted wings, especially for a kid design project, you know, because of your unyielding crafting obsessions.....

Julie said...

These look great. I should try them with my kids.