9.01.2006

Hooked a Frog





If you want to make someone flustered, try answering the phone "Hello...I'm putting my pants on!" It works like a charm. In my defense I was expecting a call and it did sound a little like my stepmother.

I think it's been about two days since I taught myself crochet and here is my first finished project! This hat was inspired by a hat worn by a teddy bear in a Japanese crochet book, see the image below. The pattern didn't really translate to a larger gauge so I made this up as I went along, just increasing whenever it felt right. It is a slight bit wonky but good enough for company work. The yarn for the eyes is acrylic colored with Sharpie because I didn't want to buy a skein of black yarn.

My two year old had expressed an interest in being a frog for Halloween, and I figured I'd run with it before she changed her mind. (After all, last week she wanted to be a skeleton, then a ghost, then a bunny.) If she changes her mind again it's still a fun hat.



Specs
Made from stash yarn, less than one skein of Cascade (no label) superwash(?), a few yards of Red Heart white acrylic, wool stuffing, no pattern.

4 comments:

Kari said...

The frog hat is cute. And I love the bear!! He is super cute.

Anonymous said...

Oh golly, I just saw a little girl at the park yesterday wearing a hat EXACTLY like this. You haven't been in Idaho lately, have you??

Anonymous said...

Oh golly, I just saw a little girl at the park yesterday wearing a hat EXACTLY like this. You haven't been in Idaho lately, have you?? It's the cutest thing ever!

Erika said...

Very cute! I love the idea..I have been collecting animal knits for some time now..wish this site will feature more! Thanks in advance!