9.14.2006

Wee Two

I'm back! Oh, did I forget to say I'd be away for a few days? Well, that's a shame. We took a mini-vacation to Portland. I am infatuated, I keep saying; "So... when are we moving to Portland?" My husband isn't going for it.

I have something to show since my last post, it's two "Archie" Make-a-Long dolls, pattern by Hillary of Wee Wonderfuls. (Note that I make two of almost everything, and my girls expect no less.) When I saw the post asking for volunteers to test the pattern I jumped at the chance. I love the concept, it's part story book and part craft book. The fact that I got to preview these patterns is not a reflection on my sewing expertise, really, I have a ways to go, more like I was quick to volunteer, because, have you seen my crooked seams? I keep trying...

When Hillary passed me the pattern I had about a day to get it done and offer feedback. There was no time for shopping so thank goodness I have all of the necessary supplies at home. (That is why you see the same fabrics repeated once again.) I got the pattern midday Tuesday and I finished up Wednesday evening. (My favorite part was sneaking one out of my 2 year old's bed and embroidering the face and then returning it so I could tell her in the morning that elves came in the night and sewed a face for her doll.)

The PDF pattern and instructions were great, clear and easy to follow. The diagrams were really helpful, it was very straightforward. What great fun patterns! That said, I'm not a genius at following directions, I didn't want to believe the part about not stuffing the arms and legs all the way to the top. And that's where I ran into a little difficulty, but some careful basting and a little extra hand-stitching and all was good.

I don't actually have experience at embroidery on a finished doll, I mean, where to hide the ends and how to hold it together? I fumbled through it and I think it came out pretty good all told. I was looking for a new project and it was a fun challenge to get it turned around so fast. I actually don't know how I found time with this crazy week but I'm glad I did.

My 4 year old offered lots of instructions; "green eyes and brown hair..mama, one more stitch and then you need to curve up the mouth a little...OK, that's enough of the red." And she has decided that hers is a girl, hence the pink collar, no matter if I insist otherwise. Her great wish was that I would make Olive and Archie and sew their hands together so they would always be holding hands just like in the pattern picture.

Look at them, I mean c'mon how cute are these little mod boys?



Specs
Wee Wonderfuls "Archie" Make-a-Long pattern, stash fabric including linen, wool felt, stretch denim, scrap wool stuffing

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are so cute!

Anonymous said...

Sasha! They're absolutely fantastic! I really love the big dots and collar. You'll have to make an Olive for your 4-yr-old :).

Anonymous said...

Makes my heart beat faster. They are so cute I'm panicking.

Mom O Matic said...

Adorable!

Anonymous said...

great ones mama sasha!
cuteness!

Anonymous said...

oh yeah, that was me, emily! xoxox

Anonymous said...

Love the Archie twins! I'll be starting mine as soon as I can get ahold of some more stuffing...ran out while making Olive. How frustrating! And your fabric selections are so cool!

Anonymous said...

they look *so* awesome! really brilliant work! would you let me add them to our Buzzy Friends gallery on superbuzzy? we'd love to share them with everyone!

Anna said...

CUTE!!!!!!