11.07.2006

Japanese Linen :: Kitchen Print :: Jumper Dress









What have we here? A finished project, started at 9:30 last night, cut and sewn before bed, except the hem, which was completed before school this morning. I wasn't planning on starting a project at that hour, but there was the fabric next to my bed (where it has been for the better part of a month), and in less than two hours it was mostly done!

The jumper is made out of the same pattern as the Ladybug Jumper that I made a few months back, lengthened by 5 inches to fit my 4 year old. It went amazingly fast the second time around.

I love Japanese linen print fabrics, can't get enough of them. I'm not convinced that they are suitable for children, I actually had to stop myself after I started to tell my 4 year old that she would get the jumper dirty if she wore it to school today. Oh yeah, it's clothes; she's supposed to wear it.

I chose to cut the selvedge off of the fabric and apply it as a fringe edge on my hem, an interesting choice that may create the impression that I didn't actually finish the hem, but I like the look, especially the way the color bleeds onto the fringe.

1.5 yards of Japanese (85% cotton/15% linen blend) fabric purchased from Purl Patchwork (available in a different colorway from Superbuzzy), Butterick pattern #5100 view D in size 3, lengthened to fit size 5, no lining, vintage buttons from an estate sale.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

LOVE IT!!

Wish I could start a project at that hour and have it finished, but all I am able to do is fall asleep on the couch . . .

Ali said...

Gorgeous - why don't I have girls to dress?!

Anonymous said...

So cute! And the ladybug one is darling, too. I see what you mean, though, about dressing kids in linen. Geez, there are times that I stress about stained t-shirts...

marco island said...

These are very adorable.

nessiesnail said...

love it... where do you get your fabrics from? I would love to make a washbag out of the stuff!