This past Saturday was our school auction, and I was on the fundraising committee. It was a fabulous party and I had a lot of fun helping pull off such a great event!
One of my tasks was to come up with an art project, and I proposed doing a silhouette for 40 kids, but the scope of the project quickly expanded into twice that many portraits!
The very talented Veronica took all of the photos, and I cut them out in Photoshop and added borders. I was challenged to get just the look I wanted with the layer mask, but in the end I think it was pretty successful. The majority of my working time was after midnight, and I struggled to expand my color palette beyond various shades of blue. I used clip art that I found on Etsy for the borders. I'm not really quick at these things and I spent a lot of time fiddling over details, so it was probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 80 hours total as a very rough estimate.
Here are a few pictures of the final result. These were done as high quality clay prints, and the colors came out just amazing in real life. I love the way it looked all together on the wall, and you really can identify just about every kid from their silhouette.
I also made a macaron tower for the dessert dash, inspired by these Martha Stewart Cupcake Towers, and I used some boxes with scalloped lids, magazine pages, hot glue and Mod Podge.
For the macaron flavors, I made matcha with black sesame filling, lemon with lemon curd, raspberry with lemon curd, and salted caramel. They were pretty enough that two people had a tussle over them, so I'd call that a success!
Psst...I'm behind the cake pops.
Photos by Veronica Zidarich