2.01.2008

Vintage Knit Love

On Tuesday I walked into the thrift store and said, I am going to walk out of here with some fabulous vintage knitting booklets...and I did! I scored 3 Bernats from the 50s & 60s.



So I immediately cast on for this hat. Does it look a little pinheaded and the model is compensating with her pose? That's what I think now that I've started the decreases. I may have to rip back and add some length. I pretty much fumbled my way through the whole two color knitting, not really getting the concept of dominant color or holding a color in each hand. That's something I hope to work on. See, I'm past the challenging part. Still not decided about how long of a tail my giant pom will get.



And since Tuesday was so good, I decided to hit the same shop again because I suspected more treasures. These knit and crochet magazines and booklets are from 1948 to 1965. What do you think, did I do OK for $2.48 (that's both days combined), including (not pictured) a vintage fly-tying "recipe" book for my dad?

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Geez. That's a score. Your hat is looking so nice.

Anonymous said...

Great score! Although that model does look a little weird with her head up like that, more length for sure before the decreases.

Felicia said...

What a score indeed. I never do color knitting so I admire your skill!